Sunday, October 2, 2011

Social Networking

Social networking has become an essential element in my life, as well as the lives of my students. Professionally I use a social network site to connect with my peers outside of work, especially during the summer. Personally, I am able to stay in close contact with family and friends although we may  not even be in the same state, or country. My students are constantly connecting with one another through social networks using any device they can get their hands on. The students post images, videos, links and create discussions.  Unfortunately, sometimes theses connections are not always positive. Cyber-bullying has become a huge concern in public schools, and social networks have been one of the go to tools for these bullies. Our students need to understand the good that can come from social networking. Using social networking in a classroom could greatly benefit teachers and students. Teachers could lead online discussions, post lectures, peer access, which students could access outside of the classroom. I do not connect with students through a social network, although our school has recently created a Facebook page. We created the page as another outlet to reach our parents and community, so they know what is happening in the district. If you would like to visit our Facebook page click here

No comments:

Post a Comment