Sunday, October 2, 2011

GTD

In this post I will be talking about GTD: Getting Things Done, not to be confused with the over-used GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry made popular by the Jersey Shore cast on MTV. GTD is tool that can implemented to organize your work flow and create a less stressful environment when balancing multiple tasks. The GTD method is broken down into steps, which makes this organizational tool very user friendly. Below is my attempt at "Getting Things Done."


Step 1. Collect. Using a piece of paper and pen , I created a list of everything I need to get done. I love lists. I use lists daily. In fact, before I started working on this weeks assignments, I made a list of everything I wanted to accomplish today. Basically, what I am saying... Step 1: = piece of cake! 


Step 2: Process. This is where you take each item on your list and you make a decision. Below are the key questions taken from the lecture by Tammy Maginity, Instructional Technology Coordinator for Pennfield Schools. 


  1. What is it?
  2. Is it actionable? If no, toss it or put it in a file for a later time.
  3. What is the next action?
  4. Will it take less then 2 minutes? Yes, do it. No, then
  5. Defer or delegate
Okay, Step 2, I like the under two minute rule. Usually in my list making process I would still just add it to a "to-do" list instead of just doing! It makes so much sense, if it something that only takes a couple minutes, why put it off. 

Step 3: Organize. Art teachers stereo-typically are not the most organized people, but I try. So during step 3, it suggests to decide what to do with each item, and decide whether it is actionable or not. I like this step! Organizing the items on my list to different categories such as, projects, calendars (must be done on a specific date or time) and by what has to be done ASAP, creates a visual map that allows me to see my to-list more clearly. 

I believe that this process will help me in organizing my time for this course, teaching, and the extra-curricular activities I am involved in at the school, not to mention the wedding I am just beginning to plan.

2 comments:

  1. You definitely need to get organized! Weddings are so much fun, but sooooo much work. You should create a shared calendar for those who are helping to plan the wedding. Everything can be there as well as links to sites and things you are doing research on.

    ReplyDelete