Sunday, October 9, 2011

PC Maintenance and Security


Tutorial used: Avoiding Phishing Scams
Tips I learned that I will definitely be sharing with others:
Always check your accounts on the website to see if you have any messages from the organization on the website.
No one with ask for username, password, social security number or any personal information through email.
Information that surprised me: With one click of a button you could be sending your money to a criminal.

Tutorial used: Using Caution with Email Attachments
Tips that I learned that I will definitely be sharing with others:
            Call before double clicking.
Read the subject very carefully- does it make sense?
Check the grammar.
If it seems strange it probably is- be suspicious!
When in doubt- delete.
Information that surprised me: I didn’t realize that poor grammar was a sigh that it may be scam.

Tutorial used: Avoid Clicking on Pop-Ups or Pop-Under Ads

Tips that I learned that I will definitely be sharing with others:
            Most spyware, malware and viruses infect your computer through pop-ups.
            Beware of ActiveX controls, not all of them are good!
            Be safe. Just don’t click them! 
Information that surprised me: ActiveX applications can sometimes be scams or malware.



1 comment: